From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2012 07:33:29 -0700
>I am starting to get reports of hive problems in the northeast.

Problems were expected since early this spring, due to the warm winter,
which increased starting varroa levels early in the season.  This was
exacerbated by the difficulty for many commercial beekeepers in obtaining
Taktic for mite control.  Then when the drought hit, it was to be expected
that there would be serious problems, due to poor bee nutrition.

Lucky for many beekeepers in soy areas, the hot weather caused soy to
produce unexpected honey, which saved many beekeepers' butts.

We almond pollinators have all been guessing as to what the bee supply will
be.  Joe Traynor has circulated a list of problems that beekeepers are
having, especially those having to do with lack of good forage.  This has
resulted in crowding of bees in some areas, and early move ins into
California.

So far, I'm not hearing of any problems that wouldn't be expected from the
conditions (meaning not a return of CCD), but am waiting to see what
happens.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA