From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 11:39:04 EST
George Imirie wrote:

"Irradiation is just the same as getting your chest X-rayed.  There is
no heat, so the hive can be irradiated "in total" irregardless of what
is inside."

This is contrary to my understanding.  I recall reading (and my
recollection has been flawed in the past) in ABJ an article from the
Worcester County Beekeepers Association (I forget the specific author)
describing their program.  All equipment is require to be free of honey,
as the irradiation causes the honey to boil.  WCBA uses the facilities
at the Worcester Medical College (University?).  All equipment is
wrapped in garbage bags, packed in cardboard cartons and loaded in
rail cars which go into the treatment facility.  I think the number of
RADS are SIGNIFICANTLY higher than an X-ray, but again I claim no
expertise.

Treating equipment is a service that WCBA contracts from
the Mediacl college and a service they extend to nonmembers - they just
put out a call for anyone interested in their January newsletter, which
unfortunately I don't have in my office right now.

Irradiation is clinically proven to be 100% effective against AFB and
is a financially sound alternative to burning (if available, close by).
However, irradiation is not sanctioned in some states.  Worcester is
about a 4 hour drive from my home but New York State doesn't sanction
the treatment.  The laws in my state don't even allow me to move
infected equipment out of the apiary, let alone across state boundaries.

More fat assed buracracy, but at least it ain't Texas!  ;)

Aaron Morris - thinking I'd NEVER do anything that's not sanctioned!!!