Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 18:58:33 EDT
Me too on moving the hive.
If you can't find the queen the easiest thing is to let somebody else do it
for you!  Join your local beekeepers' association and (neighbours permitting)
have an apiary meeting at your place and get the more experienced people to
help with the demonstration of whatever feat you wish to perform.  A dozen
eyes are better than two.  If you want to keep a low profile with your
neighbours then find a "bee buddy" from your local association to help you.
Your    "street cred" in the local beekeeping world might diminish slightly
but it will make somebody else feel good and your turn will come in due
course when you have gained the knack and can help others.
This afternoon I attended (with my bee buddy) an apiary meeting where the
beekeeper, a retired carpenter, had a number of hives of various designs of
his own.  His home made gallon size smoker was lit but was hardly needed at
all.  We found queen cells in one hive so decided to make up a nuc to make
good use of them.  The lugs on the top bar on one home made frame were too
long to fit so a saw was (palindrome) instantly produced from his kit to
shorten them with the bees undisturbed on the frame!  He has a top bar hive
made from off cuts of timber (the edge bits of trees still with the bark on)
and a couple of colonies in glass bottles - the large ones the milk runs
through in dairies.  He has a bee house with door, windows, pitched roof with
mock chimney and in it a colony.  We found the queen, young and flighty.
Brian picked her up while Richard produced the marking pen.  Brian fumbled,
Richard grabbed her, she escaped again, I caught her and passed her to
Richard but she took flight before the pen was applied.  We hung around, not
moving too much as we reassembled the hive.  Soon workers were fanning to
call her home.  Richard walked around the rear of the group and found the
queen on Lyn's back.  This time she was trapped and marked successfully and
reintroduced to the hive.  Then back to the summer house for tea and cakes
and bee talk.
Can you think of a pleasanter way of spending a Sunday afternoon in summer?
Chris Slade