From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 22:50:26 -0500
On 5 Dec 98, at 18:27, Christopher Slade wrote:

> 1. Insulation works both ways. Do those who add insulation to their hives
> in winter  cover the sunny side as well as the rest?  Is the occasional
> dose of solar heating helpful in allowing bees access to new areas of
> stores and avoid isolation starvation? I have an apiary on a cherished
> (organic) but exposed site.  I have erected windbreaks of plastic
> greenhouse shading netting but am undecided whether to do more.  Unless
> convincingly advised otherwise I shall probably drape plastic sacks over
> the N.E. and W sides and leave the S side with the entrance exposed to the
> midday sun.  This should reduce moisture on the hive bodies and thus
> reduce wind chill.

There are many conflicting points for wintering hives, for those who
are realy interested there is an FAQ on our web site dealing with
Canadian wintering. http://www.beeworks.com
        But one point from the above posting, stay away from plastic! It
doesn't breath and condensation will form on the inside, freeze and
melt just at the wrong time.
        We use  roofing felt or tar paper, one wrap is enough to keep
out the wet, and on sunny days it will warm the hive interior.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre, Owner
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>