From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2017 10:04:32 -0700

> >By the way, in California nobody practiced "reversing" for the simple
> fact that the bottom boards are nailed on.

I ran my hives that way for many years, then realized the huge benefits of
not having the bottom boards nailed on.

>I think it is important that there be nine frames (in 10 frame box)

Pete, could you please elaborate on why you feel that is important.  I
always run 10 frames in my brood chambers, and dislike working hives
containing only 9 frames.

>maybe not really enough room for queen.

 A queen laying at the high rate of 2000 eggs/day, with 100% brood
survival, and a typical 20-day development period, could maintain 4873
cells of brood.
A single deep Langstroth comb contains 6960 worker cells.  A frame 70%
covered with brood would contain 4873 cells of brood.
Thus, even a strong queen would be unable to fill more than 8 frames 70%
covered with brood.  That is not to say that the rare exceptional queen
(I've seen a few) can fill that bottom deep wall-to-wall with brood.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA