From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2017 15:07:39 -0400
Regarding 9 frames in a 10 frame hive, in my opinion, bees are more comfortable with the wider spacing and use the available combs more efficiently.

I wrote about this in the August 2015 issue of the ABJ:

Dzierzon observed the consistency with which honey bees space their combs. He put the thickness of brood combs as one inch (25mm), and the spacing of 1½ inches (38mm) from center to center. That would make the distance between combs one half inch (13mm), which is twice the minimum bee space of ¼ inch.

In the 1890s the A.I. Root Co. set the standard for selfspacing frames at 1 3/8 inches, which immediately became controversial. The Dadant & Sons Co. used a spacing of 1. inches, which they claimed to be more natural; this is the dimension that Dzierzon used.  As with anything else, there is the “truth” and then there is reality.

Most of the commercial beekeepers I have met use nine frames in a ten frame hive. Initially, this might look like way too much space, but over time, the frames get quite comfortable with it. Instead of the frames touching wood to wood, a layer of wax and propolis accumulates between them providing a flexible spacer that is better than anything we could have designed.

PLB