From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 2015 09:41:45 -0500
The silkworm.  For plants, how about maize (corn)?  Neither can survive even a single generation without human help.  And I doubt that breeds of featherless chickens or dogs would do so for long either.  Or modern breeds of meat turkeys.

As I was thinking about it the Polish chickens came to mind also..  they won't survive they cant see!....

I'm thinking that we are dealing with an issue of semantics.  To me, "survival" of a breed in the wild means survival of that specific genetic combination without change over several generations.

Agreed,  I took, and still take exception to the notion we have altered domestics to a point that they can't survive.  That was a blanket statement that I disagree with.  There obviously are some issues with thing like you mentioned,  but as a whole the breeds do fine.

Plants are one area  that we have made some mods,  but if you look at corn or wheat or rice,  our issue is not with the DNA,  but with the habit of essential selecting only one type.  Essentially cloning, and planting in mass.

Charles