From:
jerry stroope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 18:18:44 -0600
Dear Gary-

Walter Paten thought that I might like to answer your question on the
National Honey Board.  Walter could have done an excellent job, but
thought that I might use the practice sending e-mail and using bee-l.

Please keep in mind that I am a beekeeper that has been politically
active for over fifteen years.  My answers can be flawed if you wish to
pick, but they are usually  fairly accurate.  The National Honey Board
is an agency or board that is authorized by Federal law to collect
assessments (1 cent per pound) on honey produced or imported into the
U.S.   I believe the authorizing legislation was called the National
Honey Promotion and Research Act.

The American Beekeeping Federation (AFB) had an internal split over 29
years ago over this honey board idea.  The spin off group who opposed
the formation of the honey board called themselves the American Honey
Producers Association (AHPA).  The members that walked from the ABF
didn't believe that they needed to promote honey when this country could
not produce enough honey to supply the demand (a fact still true to this
day).  Any increase in demand would have only meant an increase in
imports.

The AHPA kept the honey board idea dead until the early eighties, when
certain ABF members asked AHPA leaders what it would take so that AHPA
would not oppose the formation of the National Honey Board (NHB).  AHPA
leaders said that they would not oppose the legislation if the program
would be voluntary.  ABF agreed and proceeded to promote the new
legislation that would create the NHB.  One of the main points ABF
promoters used was that the program would be voluntary.

After the legislation passed and the NHB became a reality, the ABF
started a drive to eliminate the refund provision which would make the
program mandatory.  Those same ABF leaders that went back on their word
are still very active today in the ABF.  They continue to be the driving
force behind the new NHB amendments which will expand the authority of
the NHB and increase our assessments.  They have proven that they can
not be trusted.

The original authorizing legislation had to be approved by the
beekeeping industry in a referendum.  Each five years thereafter another
referendum is held..  Each referendum sees fewer supporters, but
unfortunately has passed anyway.  Possibly the reason the NHB continues
to pass is because only the beekeepers that have not been avoiding the
assessments are eligible to vote.  So in effect, only the supporters are
voting.  Now in special cases (like a large producer), he will vote
against, but he is outnumbered by the hundreds of small producers that
don't mind the assessments.  The thousand of small producers that do
mind paying the assessments have just kept quite and the NHB continues.

Incidentally, the NHB has the full authority of the law.  Beekeepers not
paying the assessments can be fined heavily per offense.  I do not have
the amount of the fines close by, but they are enough to put most
beekeepers in the poor house.  Beekeepers should wake up and stop the
NHB before it really gets offensive.  If the NHB was promoting U.S.
honey, possibly it could do some good.  But promoting U.S. honey would
be counter productive for importers and packers.  Packers want honey to
stay generic, so that they may switch from cheap imported honey to
cheaper imported honey without any penalties from their buyers.  If U.S.
honey became a preferred honey, then the packers could not switch to
cheaper sources so easily.

This year the AHPA experienced a split similar to the split the ABF
experienced 29 years ago.  The new group called the "Coalition of
Maverick Beekeepers" (COMB) have strong feelings about the NHB.  They
believe that the NHB should be run by beekeepers only and not allow non
producer participation ( that definitely have different economic
interests).  COMB believes in the promotion of U.S. honey.  Anything
less is not acceptable.

COMB needs your support.  Join the ranks of many beekeepers that would
like to see the U.S. beekeeper get a fair break.  COMB does not have any
set membership rates.  Contributions of $20 or more will entitle the new
member to our updates on what's happening in bee politics and the
satisfaction that you are becoming active and not just sitting and
complaining and doing nothing.  Act now or live with it!

Please be advised that this piece was quickly written.  I have
intentionally left a few mistakes for the pleasure of the "nit pickers"!

Jerry Stroope
Co-Chairman of COMB

Send contributions to:

COMB