Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 13:18:50 -0600
> Allen, I am in total agreement with you on pushing queen producers to
> eliminate mite-susceptible lines of bees.  But first I wanted to see what
> it was like to walk in those shoes before asking someone else to gamble
> their entire business.  As any of the others on this List who have tried
> it can attest, it can be a tough walk.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Howcum every time I ask that everyone take one just tiny step, and then
another at whatever pace that person can manage, people immediately look at
the horizon and protest the distance is too far and the trip too costly?
I'm just talking about one tiny step.  That one tiny step will make a huge
difference.

I'm not saying that everyone has to be a hero and go all the way, just that
those who have a great influence through mass distribution of queens should
please quit contributing to the problem.  Many are and they are happy to
explain.  As I recall, Pat Heitcam was quick to get with the hygienic
program.  I'm betting he and others are on this one, too.  The cost of not
acting is far greater than the cost of not acting.

Getting better stock is just a matter of phoning Glenns or a number of those
who we think might have resistant stock and start using it

I've been trying to get more names, but it is like pulling teeth.

Anyhow, I'm hogging the conversation here.  I think I have spoken, so I'll
step back, hoping that the silent hundreds will speak now.

Why can't beekeepers take "yes" for an answer?