From:
Vladimir Ptacek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 09:57:04 CST
Dear friends,
From the sanitary point of wiev I feel as very important to find a way how
to construct maximum combs without using foundations since the wax used
in manufacturing them may be contaminated by cumulated residues from
previous treatments against bee diseases especially varroa. I dont know if
plastic frames would be a solution here, since they maybe can cummulate
residues, too.

So I suggest to find answers on the following questions:

1. How to arrange a frame for free comb construction

   to make it acceptable for both, the bees and beekeeper. This means
   the frame must have some support (vires, nylon thread or so) and bees
   should build regular combs in them, and this not only on individual
   combs inserted somewhere between other combs but also in a block
   arrangment (swarm in empty chamber ect.).

2. How to make the free comb construction method most effective?

   This means to achieve maximum worker cells and so obtain combs useful
   for brood rearing as well as for storing (and extracting) honey.I would
   invite any idea related to this matter, e.g. what is the proportion
   between worker and drone cells in TBH ?

Best regards
Vladimir Ptacek
Fac. Sci., Dept. Anim. Physiol.       E.mail: [log in to unmask]
Masaryk University                    phone:  .42/5/41129 562
611 37 Brno, Czech Republic           fax:    .42/5/41211 214