From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 08:21:02 -0600
> >>During discussions with other beekeepers at the show I was told
> >>that continued use of the same brood chambers over a prolonged
> >>period of use would lead to smaller bees. The theory being that
> >>brood cells become smaller due to scale or other residue left
> >>behind thereby curtailing

We thrashed this one fairly thouroughly to death some time back.  The
outcome?

Apparently most commercial beekeepers don't worry about the age of
brood combs much

Older combs may be necessary in some regions for successful
wintering

Bees vary in size more due to nutrition than cell size in many cases.

Bigger bees are not necessarily better.

Manufacturers have tended to vary in the size and number of cells per
sheet.  The size most commonly made has been arrived at over the
years by consensus.

Bees in nature vary the size of their cells on a given comb, but tend
to stick close to a size which is characteristic of the strain.

Small cells may possibly inhibit varroa infestation, since it is
suggested that the gap between the larva and the cell is a factor.

There was more, but that is what I recall.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>