From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 18:22:45 -0600
> One beekeeper that I know uses a little different idea
> for making his splits.  I have never tried this as I
> have never tried for big increases but it sounds like
> a good idea and he is quite happy with his results.
> He starts with a strong hive and completely consumes
> it to make up nucs.

This was described as "yard trashing", as I recall in an article in
one of the US bee mags in the last 5 years or so.  Good article.

> A quite a few beekeepers in this area make their
> increase into nuc boxes instead of hive bodies.

Dave Green -- a wise and prolific contributer to this list --
mentioned, if I understood him correctly, an idea that has intrigued
me ever since:  he suggested that he used tarpaper (or some such) to
divide a standard box when making splits last spring (or maybe it
was the year before).

Since then I have been thinking how one could drape 6 mil black
plastic over the centre howevermany frames in a box to make a comfy
nuc that would not require transferring later.  Of course, I was
dreaming of using something handy -- like the pillows Eric
developed.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>