Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 2010 02:32:28 -0600
> I understood that it was recognised as standard practice to take the bee
> sample from the brood area.  At least that should produce a base line.
> BUT - If there is a recognisable variation in that area, an up to date
> protocol should take that into account.

Lots of food for thought...

The idea of an "up to date protocol" sounds easy, but what I am realising
now is that a term like "brood area" may be too vague, and defining a
procedure with precision may be quite difficult as it needs to encompass
hive size, time of year, flow conditions, type of bee, and maybe more if
real precision is desired for calibration and comparison purposes.

The locations occupied by young bees in a colony may be very limited at some
times of year as we can observe by seeing the limited eaten out portion of
pollen patties sitting on brood chamber top bars, even when clusters are
large enough to include the patties.  That "young bee domain" may or may not
be clearly defined and determined by brood amount and stages, but possibly
other factors enter into it.  If brood stages define the domain of younger
bees, then a broodless condition, either due to season and bee variety or to
queenlessness also complicate the question when trying to compare apples to
apples.

What is the difference in young bee preference and population density
between an area with eggs, an area with young brood, an area with sealed
brood, an area with mixed brood, an area with emerging brood, and and area
where brood recently emerged in which cells are polished and awaiting the
queen?   What about when there is no brood?  I am now suspecting there is
some difference, and maybe that difference is greater than one might
suspect, particularly at some times of year or under some pollen and
honeyflow conditions.

At some times of year pollen patties are only consumed close to the brood
and at others, I am told, they can be fed in the supers or entrance.  (I
have no direct personal observation to prove whether they are consumed or
simply removed in these situations).

At some times of year, during a long, heavy flow, when any box of bees with
no brood is removed from a hive and placed near the hive, all the bees in it
without exception seem to fly back to the hive within minutes or hours.

I have always wondered about abandonment, since there must be some very
young bees at times, and that asks another question: how soon after
emergence can bees fly?  I have used abandonment to remove bees from tens of
thousands of supers and seen very few exceptions to the above abandoning
phenomenon when conditions are right and must conclude that either I did not
have the very youngest bees in those boxes, that those very young bees fly,
or that they walk away.  I have observed that all the bees leave and seem to
fly away, but never looked closely enough to notice if any are walking (not
usually unless the boxes are in contact with the parent hive), or the ages
of the abandoning bees.  We used excluders and that may have been a factor,
too, although brood was often right up to the top bars next to those
excluders.

It seems that each idea leads to another.

Of course the observation (if correct) that the youngest bees stay *very*
close to where brood is being raised under non-flow conditions explains the
whole argument that swarming is related to large hatches of new bees causing
congested brood chambers and explains why strategic spreading of brood,
reversing, and other techniques to "open up" the brood chamber work.

The observation that during a heavy flow, young bees seem to be oriented and
able to fly and that hives consume pollen supplement at the entrance would
suggest that during hot weather and a strong flow that those young bees
venture further.

The difference between hives being fed outside or inside the hive and bees
with no income on cool (5 degree Celsius) days is quite striking.  I
recently have had the opportunity to compare.

In the former case, where feed is available, bees fly and forage even in the
cool air and the bees in the hive are loosely clustered if at all.  Any
dropped on the ground fly or walk back in.

In the latter case, no income, the bees are clustered and torpid.  Any
dropped on the ground may not be able to warm up and get back in.

This reminds me of a comment made a long time back by Dave Green about
beekeepers putting out a little syrup to stimulate bees to get active on
pollination where the crop to be pollinated is not all that generous or
attractive.