Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2011 18:19:59 -0400
>A field test of about 50 hives that I did a couple of years ago found no
>correlation.  I did natural drops for 48 hrs, and then an alcohol wash when
>I pulled the stickyboards.

I suspect that 48 hours is too short a time for a good drop test.  We
used to go about a week when we used it commercially.

As we noticed I got zero for the first 24 hours, but some this morning
and when I went out just now, I saw one or two in each of three hives
of the six.

I am wondering if the fact that these hives I am looking at now had open
screened bottoms until I inserted the boards may have somehow had an
influence on the first 24 hour results.

>  To my surprise, there was no correlation.  A
> number of other researchers have published correlations for certain times of
> the year, which I incorporated into the model (including Pierre's).

I am wondering what you mean by 'no correlation'.  I find that
hard to believe.  Low correlation, and maybe some outliers, but none?

I notice that the correlation can be quite low in May according to Pierre,
but becomes better than alcohol by fall.  I am looking at Pierre's slides at
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/2011/diary021011.htm
That is using a statistical analysis to determine correlation, but
an quick visual comparison might reach a different conclusion.

>I was interested in the results of your own quick and dirty--I only saw
>results for one hive on your website.

>At your website I only see the correlation for one hive (40 by
> drop; 14 by shake).  I was wondering what the other two
> pairs of data were.

Sorry if that is not clear.  Columns B and C are two different hives
and the drop is on line 3, while the wash is on line 10.

Lines 8 and 12 are the calculated infestations from each method
immediately above.