Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2012 13:28:22 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
>Partly my fault. I am in the unenviable position of being at the front line of research, and wanting to share, but unable to offer much more than abstracts and snippets most of the time.... In any case, I bend over backwards to respect copyright restrictions. 

We all very much appreciate your work in providing these snippets.  As I said, though, the abstracts often are ambiguous and may result in readers getting the wrong impression.

As for copyright, I wonder who among us actually understands the law(s)/  Moreover, the laws and enforcement vary from country to country.  Since this server is on US soil and many contributors are in the USA, US law would apply here, I should think.  Unfortunately US law tends to be restrictive to the point of driving innovation out of the country, but that is another topic.

As I understand it, copyright law permits sharing of information in limited circumstances. Has anyone researched this question under US law?  My understanding is that the question is complex, but there must be some fairly simple guidelines.    

I assume that if one obtains a copy of a study that one can legally allow others to read it.  There must be some limit to that right, but where is the line drawn?

If one writes a researcher, typically that researcher will respond with a copy of the study, either in paper or by email.

Researchers routinely send one another copies of studies which impact their common interest.  

Where are the limits?

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2