From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 06:58:48 -0500
This message  was originally submitted  by [log in to unmask] to  the
BEE-L
list  at LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU.  It was edited to remove quotes of previously
posted
material.

----------------- Original message (ID=453F2B77) (57 lines)
-------------------
From: "Robert Roach" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology"
Subject: FW: Formic: Organic or synthetic
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 22:54:18 -0800

John,

Formic acid does not appear on the National Organic Program's proposed list
of allowed substances for organic production.  Just because a substance is
naturally occurring that does not mean it may be used on certified organic
crops.  For example, nicotine is not allowed because it is too toxic.
Leaving aside radioactive materials, the most toxic substances we know occur
naturally.

To see the list, go to http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop/ and click on the
"National List" link.

The USDA is accepting comments on the proposed rule until June 13, 2000.
The last time they ran this proposal out they received comments from 275,603
individuals and organizations.  Should formic acid be included?  How is it
made?  If it is extracted from a naturally occurring source or produced by
fermentation or other natural processes, I think it should be considered for
inclusion.

Bob Roach