From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 06:59:55 -0500
> can anyone give a definitive answer as to whether formic acid
> can be  considered an "organic" treatment for varroa because it is a
> naturally occuring substance?

Bob Stevens (the man behind bringing Apicure to market) has applied to (I
don't know which licenseing agency) to have gel formic "approved" as an
organic treatment.  Results of his application will give as definitive an
answer as you can get.  More properly worded, if approved gel formic will be
a "sanctioned" organic treatment.  Pointed out many times on this list is
the realization that "organic" does not imply "harmless".

Bob is a subscriber to this forum and has occasionally commented on formic,
it's in the archives.

The trials and tribulations of bringing gel formic to market have been
nothing short of astounding.  In spite of the long awaited release and
ongoing frustrations surrounding the product, the industry is (or at least
SHOULD be) deeply indebted to Bob.

It has always amazed me that Bayer could bring coumaphos to hives with the
snap of a finger, yet gel formic has been witheld from beekeepers for over a
decade!  I don't understand why we beekeepers stand for it.

Aaron Morris - thinking there's something wrong with this picture!