From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:01:48 -0500
Hello Dee & All,
Thanks to Dee for her comments. A resonable explanation for the study
findings.
I also found the study (depite the attention to detail) lacking in
discussion of what their conclusions were.
The focus of the study was in their own words on page 521 "experiments were
carried out to investigate whether it is possible to reduce the period
during which varroa is entering the brood cells"
There are four areas which influence population growth of varroa. The study
only focused on one area.

I have long thought the statement in the book "Mites of the Honey Bee" about
the study should have added the fact that the study only focused on one area
and three other areas are known to exist (and possibly many others).

The short life span of varroa in the bee lab has caused problems for
researchers doing studies. Diana Sammataro (USDA bee lab) has told me in
conversation that the lab has came up with a method to keep varroa alive
longer in the lab and is optimistic watching the varroa reproduce in the lab
will become a reality in the future.

Varroa is one tough cookie. Incest is best with varroa! Ever tried to kill a
tick? Not easy! Varroa are similar to ticks.

Bees are fragile compared to varroa.

Dee & I  do not see "eye to eye" on all issues but do agree on many! The
love affair of the beekeepers with chemicals has got to stop! A dead end
street!

David Vanderduesen and I have been friends for a very long time. I have
watched the registration of his Mite-Away pads with interest. The Midwestern
Beekeepers newsletter (came yesterday) has detailed instructions for use.
Says to pull pads if temps reach over 82F. Really limits use at a time when
control is needed in Missouri.
Four paragraphs of cautions.

Control of varroa for those using chemicals has become harder and
complicated. The days of simply sticking a strip in the hive has passed.

Dee, Dennis and Joe report success with small cell. Others have not. I have
had success with varroa tolerant lines and others have not.

My focus has not been on small cell although I have ran experiments. My
focus has been on varroa tolerant (VT) lines.
Install a new VT queen and forget about varroa was the idea.
Everything worked as planned but still takes time and long term success is
hard to find in areas where non VT drones are flying. queens are superceded
far more than originally thought. Start marking your queens and you will see
what I mean.
I have found that even the most VT lines can lose varroa tolerance when
daughters are open mated more than once with non VT lines.
In some areas of the U.S. (your yards are next to a beekeeper with non
varroa tolerant lines) you may need to keep bringing in varroa tolerant
lines. In other areas  once establised there is little need.
I have waited four years to say the above but believe the above to be true
after watching different yards over the last four years.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

"getting my pitch in for VT lines early"