From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:04:04 -0600
Hello Keith & All,
Actually what Keith is saying answers a couple questions I had when trying
to find the time table on comb  of DWV . I only found one beekeeping site
which referred to DWV spores. I thought this strange at the time but those
involved with me in the PMS problem always referred to PMS spores.

I am on the front lines of varroa. Incorrect information makes problems
harder to solve.

If I am understanding correctly none of our current testing is a waste
of time and only the virus is not caused by spore but by some other means?
What is the other means called?

Our testing is " does PMS comb infect the new swarm faster than new comb"

So now we know (or at least I do ) that some virus are spore forming and
others are not.

What is the dormant state of a virus called such as DWV?

How long is the dormant state viable?

Is comb that has had PMS (so bad the hive died )still a problem when the
next swarm is placed on the comb?

We know varroa can survive up to 7 days without a host.
What is the time period for PMS virus to survive without bees?

Is there a time period?

Will temperature extremes kill the dormant stage?

Bob