From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2018 10:13:19 -0500
Hi all
I don't know if this was mentioned before, I can't find mention of it.

> Synthetic Nasonov pheromone lures that attract honeybee (Apis mellifera) swarms also stimulated bees to consume water, pollen substitute and sucrose syrup offered inside their hives, and water and sucrose syrup provided in the field.

> The standard lures could also be used to condition bees to collect water provided by the beekeeper near the hives, so that they would be less likely to visit water sources (e.g., taps, swimming pools or ornamental ponds) where their presence is undesirable.

Free, J. B., Ferguson, A. W., & Pickett, J. A. (1983). A synthetic pheromone lure to induce worker honeybees to consume water and artificial forage. Journal of Apicultural Research, 22(4), 224-228.

ΒΆ

Lemongrass oil elicits a similar response in honey bees making it a useful beekeeping tool to attract bees to water sources and swarm traps.  http://www.columbianamahoningbeekeepers.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Skep-April16.pdf