From:
Seth Charbonneau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2019 16:26:22 +0000
I had thought about posting this study in the local adaption/north south thread.

It would seem to me that AHB is example of north/ south adaption

"A recent study by Wallberg et al. (2017) on honey bees from Eastern Africa found that A. m. scutellata honey bees were only recovered from locations where elevations remained below 1100 m.  The presence of A lineage honey bees at elevations greater than 1300 m in Utah could be due to hybridization between Africanized honey bees and European honey bees allowing them to adapt to higher elevations."

"Two haplotypes have only been observed in Utah thus far."

“Among the 10 A lineage haplotypes, only  two (A4a’ and A4’’) are unique to Utah when compared to the rest of the United States”

The idea that UT holds unique African genetics is interesting to say the least, As was the  population not showing signs of contact with mites.

"Also, from our samplesfor our study, usually consisting of 20-40 worker honey bees, we have not observed any Varroa mites. This sample size was not ideal forVarroa mite surveillance, but it does provide evidence of a lack of exposure to Varroa mites in these populations"

"In addition, given the high diversity of mtDNA haplotypes observed among feral honey bees in Utah, this gives evidence that these feral honey bees were not exposed to Varroa mites"