From:
huestis' <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 23:29:46 -0800
Hi Carol,

> I get the impression that you cannot simply pop 10 frames of 4.9
foundation
> into a hive body, and expect that the bees will draw it out into 4.9
cells.
> Is this correct? What will they do to 4.9 foundation?
>
> What is the correct procedure to follow to get the bees to make 4.9 cells
on
> 4.9 foundation?

 here is a copy of the info you asked:

Would someone be willing to give a brief description of the whole
process and some warnings of pitfalls one might expect to fall into
along the way.

reply:

This is for someone with more than one hive. Place queen excluder (includer)
on bottom board (don't skip this step) then add box of 4.9 foundation. Shake
all the bees into the hive.  I grab the queen and toss her in the hive. Then
brush and shake the rest at the entrance. Feed the hive. This all needs to
be done as early as possible in the season.  The content of the hive that
was shook down is given to another. Repeat the process as needed. Once the
bees are 5.1 or less you then can work progressively adding frames of
foundation between the combs. When the bees draw them out put them to the
center moving the largest to the outsides, then up, then into the supers.
Cull them. Then you work the bottom box to all 4.9 cells then the center of
the next just keep pyrimiding up.

What are the secrets of making the switch?

reply:

Don't know any true secrets. I know from mistakes however. Use the queen
includer-trust me d:< ) .  Use full sheets of foundation, forget the starter
strips.  Bees key in better with full sheets and you get alot farther
quicker. Make sure the equipment has no holes that the bees could abscond
through.  There is a window for good small cell comb drawing- spring build
up. Once the honey flow hits- most bees will draw honey storage cell size-
don't ruin lots of foundation trying to get them to draw small cells at the
wrong time. Don't force the bees- they don't play fair. Just work with what
they do. If they draw some weird odd ball combs let them, some need to go
through such a step before they make progress.  Don't know the why's just
happens that way.  Also there is a small % of hives that just won't regress-
forget them.  You need good drawn 4.9 combs to shake them on later on. Then
the following season shake the colony(ies) that recieved th! e brood down
onto 4.9 placing the brood and all above the supers of the started 49er
colonies, similar to demaree technique.  Cut queen cells out of them, or use
them. When brood hatches remove or leave as supers.  What ever best fits at
the time depend on the sizing of the bees.

Clay