From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 22:13:02 -0700
> I think it possible that we have been saved from resistance because we
> have used the OTC in syrup solutions which are fairly ineffective.
> They would leave a large proportion of non-resistant spores which
> would outproduce the (presumably) less efficient organisms with the
> superfluous resistance mechanism. When we got the patties which keep
> the OTC effective for longer periods, the nonresistant organisms would
> be wiped out leaving only the resistant ones to reproduce.

This is an interesting interpretation.  My understanding has always been that
OTC has no effect whatsoever on spores and its only action is in inhibiting
vegetative growth.  Nonetheless, this appears to be basically the same
speculation that has been going around all along.  This theory -- and it is only
a theory -- makes assumptions that sound plausible, but are AFAIK totally
unproven.

Widespread acceptance of this story is impeding proper understanding of what is
really happening and determining an optimal response in 1.) affected areas, and
2.) non-infected areas.

Since it seems no one else has or will undertake this project, today we have
initiated contacts to 1.) try to determine if DNA profiles would show if more
than one unique episodes of new resistance have occurred, and 2.) if we can
gather the necessary samples and get the analysis done.

Also: I had promised a long time back when I posted the original question that I
would eventually make a post to analyse how OTC works against AFB and whether
spores can be generated and have their numbers increase in hives that are being
properly and successfully treated with OTC, in light of some research papers
that a friend provided to me.

I still remember this promise, and will try to get around to it after ABF, but
it will take a little careful work.

allen