From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2017 21:12:51 -0400
> You seem to think we need to
> have some "identifiable" to you
> bump every time a GMO is released.

Uh, yeah, I think it is a very good thing to have metrics. It is even better
to see if something new actually improves matters or not using tangible and
measurable criteria.  The studies I cited did just that, and seemed to say
"nope" on any significant "bump" in yields from GMO crops.

In beekeeping contexts, I intone over and over "You cannot control that
which you do not measure", in my futile but unceasing efforts to get more
beekeepers to just keep a freakin' notebook.  (So few adopt the practice, we
are almost a secret society.  We need a special handshake, obscure and
secret rites of initiation, and a conspiracy theory linking RACAL-Milgo, the
Bilderberg Group, and Dunkin Donuts.)

> the main perk was to change tillage practices.
> We already had methods to control weeds in beans.
> Called a cultivator.  Hell no one's cultivated be[a]ns in
> 20 years easily!  So the perk was being able to control
> weed without Driving the tractor thru  for hours.

That sounds great!  But the rise of the super-weeds, the RoundUp resistant
ones, has forced many to return to cultivation to address these pesky little
side-effects:

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2015/roundup-ready-crops/
http://tinyurl.com/y9zx77ly

> Since your[e] not the customer, your knowledge
> of the "benefit" is a bit off the mark in this case.

No, I'm just the 3rd beekeeper from the left, but I did read about one of
the best-equipped and best-staffed honey co-ops in the nation ending up with
Glyphosate in their honey as sold at retail, which I think evinces an
unacceptable level of persistence in the environment.

So, I think that the customers for your miracle products cannot claim
ignorance any longer, and are now knowingly externalizing what should be
their costs of weed control on everyone else via contaminated water and
soil, and the rise of the super-weeds. The unintended consequences are such
an utter fuster-cluck that honey now has non-trivial levels of Glyphosate.

Not my honey, my bees cannot reach any industrial agriculture unless they
catch a ride across the Hudson River. But it is hurting other beekeepers
badly, as I'm not sure what one can do when there is no tolerance listed for
Glyphosate.  Technically, the honey would be classed as "adulterated" and
"unfit for human consumption" until someone gets a tolerance through the
EPA, at which point the honey at issue would become merely "contaminated",
and likely unsaleable in international trade.

Gee, THANKS Mr. Science!  "Better Living Through Chemistry"  :)

The delay of the game while Yoenis Cespedes' hurt knee was triaged is over,
and he is out of the game, but the score is 8-0 Mets, so I'm gonna enjoy the
rest of the game, as the weather this evening is perfect.