Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2010 10:02:20 -0400
Subject:
From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
By this I mean that if a beekeeper feeds in such a way that feed gets into the honey in some amount, then should the label _really_ read pure honey?  ...at .0005%? .5%?  5%?  10%?  30%?  50%?

I think you are taking these to extremes and missing the key point. The key issue is the deliberate adulteration of honey in order to defraud the customer and make more money, not the inadvertent effect of a minute amount of sugar winding up in the supers as a result of supplemental feeding.

Obviously, if I was going to go to the trouble of stretching the honey with corn syrup, I would try to use as much as possible that wouldn't be noticed by the consumer, probably 25%. I suggest that 1% or less of sugar hardly makes a significant difference in the product. I think the issue would be better focused on intent to defraud rather than unwanted traces of corn syrup.

In other words, go after the criminals, not the honest guys trying to make a living with bees.

PLB