From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:42:12 -0500
Hello Ted & All,

> I appreciate you throwing out various theories on the cause of bee losses.

I have been involved from the start on the CCD thing. My advice was sought
and here we are a couple years later and no clear cause of the die off. Sure
we have learned many things. Some which have been an embarrassment to both
the USDA-ARS and our researchers. Two glaring embarrassments were exactly
how long IAPV has been in the U.S. (now we know there are three strains and
none exactly like the Israel strain). Also IAPV dates back many years. My
last bit of information said at least 1999. What about nosema ceranae? How
long has it been here. Some say a decade.

The reason many seek me out is because lab work is only a part of an
investigation.  Taking samples is only a part.
If you watch a TV CSI program you will see a lot of brain storming goes on.
You leave no stone unturned as even the smallest clue may be what you are
looking for. Of course only TV but still the way the die off is approached
by myself and my circle of beekeepers.

> A few weeks ago I believe you suggested that diesel exhaust might be
> affecting bees when truckloads park overnight at truck stops.

Myself and Tim Tucker (ABF board member) are still trying to get information
on EXACTLY what is different today than say a few years ago but the oil
companies will not release the information. At night in truck stops the air
is full of diesel fumes. The bees have no air to breathe but the diesel fume
contaminated air. Many times the bees are exposed for up to 36 hours each
way to California. Exposed each time they are moved.

I can say that I do not believe in past years diesel fumes was a problem.

I have been exposed to diesel fumes most of my life and have had no ill
effects but I wonder if the next generation of drivers will be able to say
the same thing. In the old days you would see a truck at idle filling the
air with black smoke. Always happened when they were at idle for a very long
time.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

--