From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 09:51:43 +0100
Hi Dee

> is not a self perpetuating
>
> Reply:
> Why is it not? Seems to be a perfectly logical backup

I should re-phrase that and say that it will perpetuate at normal
background level, but not escalate. Pressure is required for an increase
in such behaviour, as soon as the pressure is released, by attaining the
required diversity, the increase subsides (watered down).

> feel that beekeepers interrupt this trait more than many
> think by willful distruction of laying workers when found,

I don't think that this is particularly true as any reduction in anarchy
would be built back up until it hovers around the natural background
level, because there would also be less 'policing' activity required
from workers. The background level being an equilibrium between anarchy
and policing.

 > And for what....to protect pedigree bees
 > for profit?

I see this differently... Profit is not the motive, the preservation of
pedigree bees allows future generations to re hybridise as they think
fit, if you let all bees become just a mish/mash of interbred mongrels,
you have a more difficult time analysing and separating out any traits
that you may wish to enhance.

> the 'pedigree' of the colonies concerned was not
> ascertained (or was not ascertainable).
>
> Reply:
> Again disagree, but then I still have my copies of archives
> of USDA experiments of years ago stating various races
> trait found in.

I was not referring to the USDA experiments, but those carried out in
Europe, which are buried somewhere in my filing system :-)

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)