From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 09:04:00 +0100
Hi Dee

Not sure whether we should be using Anarchy as our subject line here.

 > but have you ever considered reasons for how the ratio
 > might drastically increase?

Yes, but it is not a self perpetuating or a 'snowballing' increase.

Because once the 'extra' genes get into the population the pressure is
removed. From that point on the level of anarchy will drift back down to
natural 'noise' levels.

Another factor... We have been talking of anarchy, which brings in a few
extra genes via drones, real seed change requires full blown thelytoky
which is perhaps as much as a thousand times rarer than anarchy.

As with anarchy, thelytoky is not a snowballing increase either (for the
same reason).

There is some correlation between race and degree of thelytoky observed,
but it is not a sharp distinction except in the case of Capensis, where
it is considered normal. Thelytoky has been observed in European bees,
but as far as I know the 'pedigree' of the colonies concerned was not
ascertained (or was not ascertainable).

 > 3. Constant grafting with rotation of same hives used for
 > choosen larvae material.

I'm not saying this can't happen, but the beekeeper would have to put in
a great deal of effort in screening out drones from other areas for it
to become much of a problem. It is a problem that can surface from time
to time particularly with Italian bees, but although a great many bees
in USA are described as Italian, the likelihood of a high degree of
racial purity is low.

Excessive inbreeding can only happen if the number of alleles is
limited, what causes the small numbers to be available is a different
matter.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)