From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2008 23:10:24 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>,
"[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> writes
>....here is some evidence to support the theory that terramycin in the
>hive will negatively affect some of the bacillus that inhibits
>chalkbrood...leading to an increased infection.  not proof, but pretty
>strong evidence....any thoughts?

Many many years ago, back in my fathers time (pre 1982) we had some
colonies showing Foul brood like symptoms, which had been acquired from
another local beekeeper, a well known and widely admired breeder.

After a few weeks they were showing a few symptoms of less than welcome
complaints. Chalk brood was widespread, and EFB and AFB like symptoms
were showing up sporadically.

Analysis came back clear of both foul broods, and that the problem was
probably genetic.

However, in a trial the local bee health man treated part of the unit
with Terramycin. The strange brood was unaltered remaining present in
both the treated and untreated units. However, for some reason the
treated ones no longer had chalkbrood, whilst the untreated ones did.

The spring was cool and damp, and the colonies not very strong, classic
chalkbrood conditions.

A couple of weeks later a flow came on from the raspberries and the
brood ailments and the chalkbrood vanished, and were not seen again that
season.

In spring 2008 we were plagued by chalkbrood here in Eastern Scotland,
the worst for many years. We were finding it hard to see enough really
vibrant breeders to work from which were strong, prosperous, free of
chalk, and showing appropriate temperament. However, we found enough and
started the daily grafting programme, only to discover selected mothers
going down with a wave of chalk too, and strangely some that had lots of
it turning up with none on the next visit.  Colonies laying up new wax
were the worst affected. In severe cases perhaps as high as 40% of
larvae were dead with chalkbrood. By late June however all were clear
and no more heavy amounts were to be found. It was a topic of
conversation this summer at our annual get together of commercial guys,
and we all thought we had had it bad till one guy in the corner piped up
that for the first time (this guy is a good breeder who sends stock all
over) he had had colonies die from chalkbrood. None of us had heard of
such a thing. He took out a plastic binbag and took out a few combs and
passed them round, and seriously...these were 90% or worse chalk!
However, a bit like everyone else, a bit of decent weather, a bit of a
honey flow, and a bit of colony growth, and almost all his chalk was
gone. Like us he had found the new wax was worst, one frame he showed
was just solid chalk.

All this in an environment where NO antibiotics are ever used (ancient
experiment excepted)

--
Murray McGregor