From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 2009 12:26:14 -0700

> >If those people were really concerned they would stop buying their food
> from
> other countries and push for country of origin label laws.  Foreign fruit
> and produce is killing the U.S. industry.

Bob, I heartily agree!  I live in Calif, and when we pass laws restricting
toxic chemicals (which I support), we put our own farmers out of business,
since they are no longer playing on a level field.  As far as I'm concerned,
every state should make imports subject to the same production restrictions
as for farmers in that state.

A question for you, Bob.  Some beekeepers here use burning sulfur (emits
sulfur dioxide gas) to keep wax moth at bay.  It has the downside of
corroding metal buildings.  Is sulfur used at all in your area?

Does anyone have information as to why sulfur dioxide isn't used more as a
comb fumigant?

Re wax moth, I use methods similar to those previously mentioned.  White
combs are not a problem, containing honey or not, even if stored for years.
We stack boxes of dark combs outside for winter to keep them too cool for
moth growth.  However, when the weather gets above about 75F, we hustle to
get them onto bees for protection.

Randy Oliver