From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:48:36 -0800
Thank you for the informative post, Bob!

>Those California beeks with a signed contract are not complaining.

Actually, they are.  Loudly.  Even those with signed contracts are getting
strong pressure and/or threats about next year from the growers.  Forcing
them to lower prices at the last minute.  A number have had the growers back
out of contracts, due to water issues.

A big problem is the "handshake" contracts, between longtime
grower/beekeeper "partners."  A number of beeks who had already placed bees
in the orchard have had a grower tell them to move them out because they
could get cheaper bees elsewhere.

I personally have an orchard that I've pollinated for 20 years.  Great bees
every year, no problems.  The contract needs to be approved by a board of
directors, and I normally don't get it returned into my hand until after
move in.  This year the board played hardball after I had already placed the
bees, with the trees already coming into bloom!  So much for trust.

> >I do not want to cause hard feelings with California( C)  beeks but what
> many growers are saying is that the feedlot hives produced by California
> beeks grade good but do not perform like strong out of state hives moved
> into almonds.

I'd like to see supporting data on this--I will ask Dr Frank Eischen.  One
difference that I've noticed is that bees brought in from cold winter areas
at the last minute quickly shift to the California "spring" and start
foraging madly.  I prefer to leave my own colonies in cold winter areas for
that reason.  So your observation may be more due to acclimatization of the
colonies, rather than feeding.

> >What they say is that the California hives sit waiting for the beek to
> bring another pollen patty...whereas the out of state hives go right to
> work.

This observation may be due to the fact that those feeding at the last
minute are often doing it to try to boost the strength of weak colonies, or
those with few honey stores.

> >I live in the Midwest and when we move cattle into the feedlot the cattle
> quit grazing and stand by the feeder all day waiting for the next round of
> feed. Ask any cattle rancher!

I'd be careful about projecting bovine behavior onto bees!  :)

> >Not sure how applies to bees but most of us feed the bees diesel fumes
> between natural sources of feed.

Ditto here!

>> >The resentment is that some other states make it difficult for Calif
>> beekeepers to place bees for summer pasture, yet California allows any and
>> all to come crash our party, leave a mess, and stick us with the bill.
>>

> >an inconveniate truth:

The complaint was not about the competition--it was about the lack of
reciprocity.  Calif makes it easy for beeks to come in to compete for
pollination contracts (spring forage), but other states make it hard for
Calif beeks to go there for summer pasture.   And yes, we Calif beeks pick
up virtually every new parasite from out of staters.

> >In agriculture you never count your chickens before they are hatched.

Actually, you do.  It's called the futures market.  Designed to provide
stability in agricultural markets.  Signed contracts well in advance,
totally transparent, so that buyers and producers can see the real price of
producing a commodity, averaged over all areas.  Broker Joe Traynor provides
such a market, with his June pricing for pollination contracts far enough in
advance so that beekeepers can make management decisions as to whether they
should invest in preparing colonies for pollination.

> >Many C. beeks claim to *understand* the *party* but I think many of those
> complaining are do not really understand the game.

The complaining is about the reneging on contracts by the growers.  The
breaking of agreed-upon rules.  This pushed desperate out of staters on a
rush to the bottom for rental prices.

The growers are in a different position than beekeepers.  A grower can sit
on his nuts (no pun intended) if the price isn't right--the "utility" is not
time sensitive.  A beekeeper who provides pollination has a very
time-sensitive utility.  The value goes from the "going price" to zero in
about a week.

A grower can make investment in the orchard, based upon knowing that the
price of almonds will not likely drop below the break even point.  The
beekeeper does not have that luxury, and can easily lose money on colonies
built up for, and moved to, the orchards.

> >My advice to C. beeks for 2110 is to get a iron clad contract. Set a price
> you can live with before almonds. agree to bring in a strength you are sure
> you can provide. If you sign for 8 frames and you turn up with less then the
> grower can get out of the contract.

Bob, this is excellent advice, and I agree wholeheartedly.  And push to get
a signed contract early, like in November.

Randy Oliver