Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 2010 11:38:06 -0500
> If I am reading the chart correctly, I don't see any great correlation between temperature and food consumption... Some of the deep valleys or spikes in temperature seem to not correlate with any great degree to an increase or decrease in consumption.  This indicates to me, a supporting of earlier studies that show cluster temperature is largely regulated by contraction and relaxation of the cluster and not by energy consumption and expenditures.

Well, Your understanding and mine are similar, however, I am merely observing and have not reached any conclusions.  It is like watching a hockey game.  One might have an idea how things will end, but there could be surprises.  Some watch play by play, some read about it in the paer the next day, and some don't care.  This the play by play.

We are watching four hives sitting on one scale.  Several events have occured and are marked on the chart and we see spikes in weight loss, seemingly related to the disturbances (dark blue).  We also have the daily temperature band recorded (grey).

So far, the temps have been low and the daily consumption reading (omitting the disturbamce episodes) have been pretty steady.  Our scale and our eyes are not perfect, so some of the apparent fluctuation could be operator/equipment error.

If one wanted to try to read into the chart, one might notice apparent small bumps in weight loss seemingly triggered by times when temperatures rise a bit, and this latest one is the most obvious such event, but the event is ongoing.  It is far too early to draw conclusions.

The game is still on.

I'll have more readings daily, and this is an interesting juncture, but I am currently in Northern Ontario, on my way to Orlando, so I may not be reporting real-time.

The suspense mounts.

 ---  begin silliness ---

Of course, some, seeing a hockey stick appearing on the right like that will immediately see that the bees will eat all their remaining feed this coming week or two and estimate that the oceans will rise 20 feet.

Obviously, this sudden increase in feed consumption has caused increased CO2 output and is raising the ambient temperature in Alberta.

Charts don't lie.