From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2017 07:40:23 -0700
>Randy you criticize me correctly.

Christina, I do not mean to criticize you personally, and perhaps should
not have addressed you by name.  I know that you mean well, and respect
your scientific knowledge and opinions.

The points that I've been trying to make are that since this is supposed to
be an "informed discussion" group, that those posting should not state as
facts things that they have not first checked for supporting evidence.  If
one wishes to discuss a paper, it's fine for lurkers to ask questions, but
no one should post conclusions unless they have actually thoroughly
reviewed the study.

And I find personal criticisms to be distasteful.  It didn't help when you
goaded me by telling me that I should read the paper rather than just
looking at the graphs, or when you tell me that queenless colonies don't
requeen after 90 days.  Those gratuitous sorts of insults don't play well
when I'm staying up late after exhausting days to try to keep the informed
discussion on track.  (I'll steer clear of others' recent baiting,
trolling, and dismissive insults at this time).

>I am bad with supplemental files in "Science" ...I like the way most
papers are published, and have been published for most of a century...with
all the materials and methods right there in the paper, and most of the
data too.

I'm in complete agreement with you on this.  The current travesty is that
first we hear the spin on the press release of a study by others with
vested interests, then see the abstract put on line, and then find the
actual paper behind a paywall, and now in the journal Science, find the
meat of the study published separately as "supplemental data."  This is
science at its worst.

Christina, I encourage you to continue to discuss things, as I value your
knowledge of neurobiology, as well as your long experience in science.  Our
discussions should not be about winning points or keeping score, but rather
to try to better our understanding of the science of beekeeping.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA