From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 23:21:47 -0300
allen wrote:

> In Europe, they finally decided (a bit late) to go with the
> precautionary principle. Mr. Dillon can tell us all about that.
>
> In the US, we have a large scale ongoing experiment where any chemical
> is considered innocent until proven guilty.
>
> It is the Napoleonic code vs. the American Way.

My experiences in France have been indicated in previous mails on Bee-L.

Much effort and cash has been invested into producing a result regarding
the debate on the status of several systemic insecticides and
consequences they have on Honey bee colonies.

There has been a failure of both sides to produce or deliver the
"killing blow" that would settle the arguments.

Both sides are entrenched.

During the investigations, research has indicated that initial
statements held as fact have had to be changed. Topics such as Sub
lethal intoxication have arisen.

It has been realised that protocols were inadequate for the questions
being posed, resulting in more targeted procedures to be applied.

It has been shown that procedures that allow materials to be placed on
to the market were / are lacking in rigour, especially taking into
account changes in attitudes now present in the general population.

Governmental agencies have moved to try and ensure that "Rogue molecules
" are not liberated into the environment to do their worst on non-
targeted organisms.
For some, not enough has be changed, others the contrary position is held.

Some European Governments with the evidence presented, insist that it is
for the manufacturer to prove "fitness of use", invoking the "Principle
of Precaution" as a manner to protect until data supports the use of the
material being questioned.

That position may be one that results in a predicament for Phyto
sanitary product salesmen.

Is the same procedure is not applied in the USA? My experience does not
allow me to comment.

I have seen what happened in France. I was involved in trying to obtain
clarification of observed losses. Research establishments were involved
with individuals considered to be educated and competent to arrive at a
position recommending conclusive action.

Certain materials were withdrawn from the market with the ability to be
reinstated once shown to be non damaging to Honey bee colonies.
As far as I am aware, not being directly involved at this time, this
situation has not been arrived at.

Regards,

Peter