From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 03:31:28 -0300
Hi Randy

> I'm interested in getting to the bottom of this.  I've corresponded with
> Dr.
> Richard Rogers, who is currently preparing the paper on the NB study.  I
> have not spoken with Dr. Kemp (can you please send me his contact info off
> list?).

Dr. Jim Kemp         [log in to unmask]         phone 902  964  3275

Dick Rogers was involved in the first study.  He had no involvement in the
subsequent study of my bees on PEI in canola.  It was Dr. Kemp and his
students.   He was still involved when the data from New Brunswick was
analyzed.  That is what led Dr. Kemp to undertake the study on my bees.
Because the data from New Brunswick showed some residue in canola, the
year after potatoes.  I think it laughable if Dick Rogers is trying to get a
paper out of those few samples, when the major study which Jim Kemp
did sits in limbo.  I have posted the results several times to the b list
from
New Brunswick.  They show about 3 ppb residue of imidacloprid in
honey and pollen (about the same amount as thiomethoxam which the
canola was treated with).  The hives sampled I believe belonged to
Ralph Lockhard.  He told me they did NOT collapse.   In the study
that Jim Kemp did on my hives, some DID collapse and were sampled
and it is those samples I think should be analyzed at the minimum,
although samples of the control group would put it in context.

> Can you please tell me the name of the study that you are referring to,
> and
> the dates of the sampling, and the funding agency, and I will try to
> resolve
> your questions as an impartial third party.

Since it has never been published, I don't know the name, but it is a study
of beehives on PEI (all mine) in seed canola following treated potatoes and
the sampling was done about five or six years ago and the funding all
came from Bayer.

> By the way, where does your provincial apiculturist enter into this?
> Shouldn't he be able to resolve this to your satisfaction?

We did not have a provincial apiculturist back then.  Our horticulturist
now serves in that capacity.  He has no involvement in this and he is
certainly not expert in bees and beekeeping.

Regards
Stan