From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2017 03:33:17 -0700
I'm glad to see that some on the list can understand what I try to explain.

The goal of public university plant breeding programs is to maximize
benefit to the public, rather than profit (example
<http://tfss.tamu.edu/for-breeders/variety-release-procedure/>).

Universities in the U.S. of course patent their cultivars, and then either
release them to the public or license them to propagators. Some, such as
University of California use those licensing fees to nurseries to support
their breeding programs.  The following text is from University of
California:

If you would like to propagate, transfer, or use UC varieties for research
purposes, you must obtain a license request form as directed.
*NOTE: Fruit producers do not need a license.*

I did not ask the university breeders from Africa about their licensing
agreements, but my impression was that their intention was to release their
cultivars to the local growers.  I'd be happy to be corrected if I
misunderstood.

Of interest may be future trends in the traits being developed in
genetically-engineered crops:

​
https://www.ers.usda.gov/amber-waves/2014/march/adoption-of-genetically-engineered-crops-by-us-farmers-has-increased-steadily-for-over-15-years/

  --