From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2017 09:14:51 -0400
Bee liners;

I am working on a beekeeping development project in Moldova and just spent
2 weeks touring the beekeeping sector across the country.  Moldovans use at
least 4 different hive types and it seems every beekeeper has a personal
design variant they prefer.  We are going to try to develop a standard hive
via consensus of beekeepers and hive manufacturers in an effort to improve
efficiency in the manufacturing and beekeeping management sectors.  One of
the major problems hive manufacturers face is poor quality raw lumber.
There is one Styrofoam hive manufacturer but the beekeepers prefer wooden
hives.

I am told it is difficult and expensive to locate wide boards for hive
construction.  Is anyone having success using engineered lumber for hive
bodies and supers?  We have come a long ways from the days of plywood and
chipboard and I am curious if anyone is experimenting with or has
experience with engineered wood on a commercial scale other than for hive
tops and bottoms?

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC