From:
"Curtis L. Spacek" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 1997 21:11:00 -0500
Garth wrote:

> Donald Aiken Wrote:
>
> >The metric system was imposed on us some years ago by a government
> >of lawyers who also liked its concept. We were promised amazing
> >improvements in efficiency, simplicity and uniformity in trade.
>
> The system will not be accepted by a people affraid of learning.
> North Americans are notorius for mental blocks against things. You
> have ten fingers. Apply this knowledge to your life. There is little
> learning there. A  person needs to know that you have a unit of wiegh
> which is a gram. A smaller wieght is a thousandth of a gram (read
> millgram) and a bigger one is a thousand grams (read a kilogram). If
> this is difficult to remember, look into the units of measurement
> setup in printer control and use the symbols, together with the 10
> numbers at the top of the keyboard.
>
> Likewise vol=l, ml and kl.
>
> If one was taught a silly system to measure things by, one will have
> a suspicion of measurement systems. Hence one will not be able to
> learn a sensible system. This applies to governments too. Those same
> bad lawyers you mention pushed sanctions against south africa while
> building honelands for indians in the northen wastes. Failure to
> think.
>
> >In fact, none of these improvements have materialized. Where we
> >bought margarine in two lb tubs we now buy it in 907 gm tubs. Tires
>
> >previously inflated to 50 lb per square inch are now inflated to
> >350,000 pascals ( whatever they are). Recently we had a discussion
>
> Should be kPa ie kilopascals.
>
> >of the caloric costs and benefits of using gasoline powered vehicles
> >to harvest honey, complicated by the confusion as to whether the
> >inputs were in Calories or calories, the latter being 1000 times
>
> I stand to be corrected, but I think that there are calories and
> kilocalories. Buut the correct unit is a joule or something.
>
> >smaller. The newspapers tell us that forest fires are destroying
> >thousands of square hectares (are there other shapes?) of forest
>
> Once again the root here is education.
>
> >daily. Where I used to use a teaspoon of terramyacin per gallon of
> >syrup, I am now supposed to use 5ml per 4.5 liters.
>
> >Industries are far better off left to decide what sort of
> >measurements they like to use for their products. If the metric
> >system offers significant advantages, it will be adopted. If it
> >doesn't, we will be spared the enormous silliness of scrapping
> >perfectly satisfactory equipment to satisfy a bureaucrat's longing
> >for uniformity.
>
> It does offer significant advantages. That's why the scientific
> communities of the world use the metric system. The financial system
> of the US uses a perversion of the metric system, as does Canada.
> Show me a 12 dollar bill?
>
> >Donald Aitken 11710-129 Street Edmonton Alberta Canada T5M 0Y7
>
> And I guarantee that the steel mills in Edmonton buy iron ore by the
> ton. (grin if they buy it from us they make a profit!!)

> [...]
If you wish to buy our goods or sell us yours you will do it in
measurement of our choosing and in our language as does the rest of the
world. and no it is not a matter of education as most technological
advancements come from this country not from uneducated third world
countries, which are no larger than most counties in Texas,  we use our
own system of measurement simply because we are FREE to do so and not
ordered to do so by some group of inbred pompous individuals calling
themselves royalty.We had the good sense to throw them out 200 yrs.ago.
WE DO IT OUR WAY AND IF YOU ARE DISTURBED BY THIS TOO DAMN BAD
MISSY!!!!!