From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:29:37 -0700
> The deaded winter losses.

Dreaded?  Obviously dead(ed).

> I can't count the number of articles written about wintering honeybees.
>
> Even I have considred doing an article on wintering bees.

I wrote one, at least, and it was even published in one of those
old-fashioned magazine thingies.

> Mine would most likely say take your losses in fall and do not try to
> winter "dinks". Do not combine two "dinks" as all you will end up with is
> a big "dink" with a poor queen!

Hmmm.  I said to combine them and take your chances.  If you kill them, you
have obviously lost for sure. If you don't, you have a 50/50chance.
Sometimes they are just struggling because a new queen cam on  late.

Depends on what winter feed is worth, I suppose.

I'm not from Missouri.

> Second that healthy *winter* bees wintering over plenty of stores and
> protected from dripping moisture can take the most severe winter has to
> offer.

Yup.  Good bees are hard to kill, but most of us can find a way.

allen
---
People who ask our advice almost never take it. Yet we should never refuse
to give it, upon request, for it often helps us to see our own way more
clearly.
--- Brendan Francis