Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:01:22 EST
Jeanette says her physicist son....
<< As a young child, he had a sort of "factory production line" view of it. =

 But I respected his ideas and we talked it through.  He's a physicist now=
  -
 probably never going to do research in breast milk production.  But he is=

 willing to try "crazy" things and who knows what he will come up with? >>

But Jeanette, he's absolutely right!  When I'm talking about milk production
to mothers, I describe the breast as being like a factory -- when the breast
is emptier, and the milk is flowing out, the little workers scramble to make
more milk faster and faster to keep production up.  And when the br is
getting fuller and fuller, they go on a coffee break.  And, if mom suddenly
stops bf all together, they make just a bit more, and then go on strike.
Obviously they aren't needed anymore, because the warehouse is not only full,
but demand for the product has gone down.

I think your son is brilliant!  And the mothers to whom I describe this
scenario seem to resonate with it.  (Wasn't it he that developed COLiC?)

Jan Barger in very snowy Wheaton, IL