From:
Rachel e-mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:57:55 +0100
Cathy Bargar writes :Are they healthy in other ways?
Lively, doing the things babies that age usually do? responsive & reactive
with their surroundings & people? I know we've said it dozens of times on
this list, but we need to LOOK AT THE BABY rather than the chart...to distinguish between "that nice juicy good-baby look, or that dull look
in their face that speaks to me of trouble."
Well said, Cathy.
Once again let's remind ourselves that the growth charts are screening tools.  Deviation from the chart is not in itself diagnostic of anything.  Deviation gives cause to LOOK AT THE BABY and check the other indicators of well-being, such as motor development, social development, and just that nice juicy look which the intuitive practitioner can identify on sight but has difficulty describing point by point.  Likewise, anyone who is confronted with a baby who appears "dulled" and chooses not to investigate because weight and length are following the line on the graph is not doing the best job for babies.
Rachel Myr
who has had both extremes of growth curves in just two BF children-- second child's weight at 4 months was the same as first child's at one year, with similar birthweights