From:
Kathy Birt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 18:23:31 -0800
I have been contacted  by a local school counselor.
She is assisting a 14 yr old mom that has been bf her
baby for 16months.  She describes her as giving in to
anything the baby wants. She says the mom hates
breastfeeding and wants to stop. she only feeds her
because she cries for it and won't let her cry. The
baby takes EBM by cup for all of her caregivers while
this girl is in school and has no behavior problems.
As soon as mom walks in she is a "holy terror" &
demands to be breastfed which the girl does to quiet
her.  Counselor has called child protective svc as the
mom hits the baby on the bottom for breastfeeding
-trying to get her to stop.  She has asked for my
help. I know how to dry up her milk but am afraid this
is the only close contact baby has with mom and is
wanting her affection. If we take away the breast,baby
will cry, get smacked, and God knows what this will do
to her.  Any suggestions? She has no support at home,
either and the father of baby is a teen that gives in
to her every whim,also. They don't make her ride in
car seat because she cries. I would like for her to go
live with someone else for a few weeks then return to
mom, but this may do more harm than good? Help!