From:
James Kearney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 19:02:36 -0000
I first read David Cairns' biography "Berlioz:  the Making of an Artist"
soon after its publication in 1989.  The book swept me up, giving full life
and vibrancy to Berlioz' upbringing, early adulthood and music, ending with
a cliffhanger at the premiere of the "Symphonie Fantastique", attended by
Berlioz' requited infatuation, the actress Harriet Smithson.

The years passed, and while I often referred to Cairns' biography
for details of Berlioz' early life, I gave up scanning the latest book
releases for his long-awaited sequel.  A plaintive email in 1998 to the
London "Sunday Times", where Cairns is classical music critic, brought no
response.  A few hours ago, I learned that the sequel finally appeared in
November!

I've now ordered "Berlioz:  Servitude and Greatness" from Amazon.co.uk,
and will plunge into the book before I attend "L'Enfance du Christ" with
Sir Colin Davis and the London Symphony Orchestra at the Barbican Centre
on Saturday.

The University of California Press will publish this book for the USA in
Spring 2000.

Have you pipped me to the post, and started "Servitude and Greatness"
already? Please share your reactions.

James Kearney