From:
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 21:49:15 +0100
Donald Satz wrote:

>Mahler's symphony no. 4 (Bonney/Chailly/Decca) - I think that Chailly's
>previous Mahler recordings have been fine, and Bonney just might be great
>for the 4th movement.

Hm.  Mixed emotions.  I went to the concerts some months ago when Chailly
conducted these in Amsterdam.  Not bad at all.  Chailly is really growing
in this repertoire, although he has fierce competition in the memories of
most Amsterdam concert-goers (Haitink, Bernstein and De Waart to name some
of the great ones of the last twenty years who appreared before us).  I'd
certainly give his sixth Mahler a go if I were you.  Bonney on the other
hand was indeed just right for the fourth movement.  Indeed a release to
be looking out for, although I doubt it will be my first choice.

jos