From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 22:46:35 -0500
Had a lovely black mom in yesterday, her 13 mo old has his first ear
infection.  She weaned him 2 weeks ago :-(  His chart was a classic.  One
sick visit when younger for something insignif and every other visit in
chart was scheduled for health start well visit with shots.  (No I didn't
say what I really wanted to-take this boy home and nurse him!) But the tech
and I made such a fuss over how good his health has been for one whole
year.

the whole issue that Elisheva discussed is so complex and fraught with so
many biases-right or wrong.  But we KNOW the babies are better for BF, I
wish it was so plain to everyone else, without all the attendant baggage,
beliefs, biases etc., etc., etc!
I think of all the health problems I see in the black community and I know
so  many of them begin at the beginning with artificial feeding.  Do you
know how badly a black child scars when they scatch their eczema ALL the
time? I could just cry for all that unrealized potential for better health
that is lost..........if you have to work and can barely hold things
together, how do you fit in the 4 neb treatments a day and the half night
stays in the ER?  and I could go on and on and I'm just depressing myself.
Sadly, Pat in SNJ