Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 15:59:07 +0100
"If you are nursing, foods that you eat can cause infant gas. Some "gassy"
foods
          such as cabbage, onions, beans, bran, broccoli, cauliflower,
caffeine and brussels
          sprouts should be avoided while nursing. "

This is the sort of thing that makes me cross....making life prescriptive
and difficult.

This is from an ad for a product you have in the USA based on Simethicone.
We have what seems like an identical product here. Interestingly, the US
product is (according to the webpage) *not* to be used for 'colic'. Here,
in the UK, the same product is specifically marketed as an anti-colic
product with the word  'col' in its name.

We don't make much distinction between what we call 'wind'  (and you call
'gas') and colic. 'Colic' is just used as a word to mean 'wind that seems
to cause the baby discomfort'.

This whole area is one which is riddled with folklore and anxiety, with
precious little hard clinical evidence. It is a shame to see mothers told
to avoid a whole swathe of foods - on what grounds, I wonder. Mothers are
told to avoid these foods here, too, by some - but if a mother has been
given a list like this, I always assume the same person's information on
breastfeeding is pretty poor.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK