Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 09:38:26 -0600
7bit
From:
Kris Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: Lactnet group <[log in to unmask]>
I had a request from a mother who is considering having her varicose
veins treated. The drug which is used is sotradecol. She is currently
nursing her 2 1/2 year old son. She told me that she researched this
procedure about 4 years ago and was told by LLLI and a local
breastfeeding doctor that it was OK to use, but the vein doctor refused.

 The vein doctor (four years ago) said the reason
he says no is because there's been no testing on nursing women and this
procedure.  What they do is inject this solution/drug directly into the
vein because it's an irritant which eventually gets rid of the diseased
vein.
Does anyone have any further information on the safety of this drug
during breastfeeding? This mother obviously would like to check all
resources before proceeding.
Thank you very much for any help or information you can give.
Kris Rogers
Crystal Lake, IL