From:
Jennifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:36:39 -0500
I greatly appreciate the timely responses by everyone. It has been
brought to my attention (by our A/APL) that there was recently an
article published at Healthscout re: Prozac use and the breastfeeding
mother. I did some digging and found the actual article in this month's
issue of Pediatrics(Vol. 104, No. 5, p. e61). For those who do not have
a copy, you can access the article at:

 Weight Gain in Infants Breastfed by Mothers Who Take Fluoxetine

If I understand this correctly, this new study seems to be supportive of
the mother taking Prozac(at least in this case since weight is not an
issue - 9 1/2 m.o. and 25 pounds) with no known side effects to a
healthy older infant. The mother would like to have research to bring
with her to discuss this further with her doctor, since the doctor will
not give a prescription for Prozac unless the baby is completely weaned.
The mother does not want to wean(she nursed her other child until age 3)
but is reluctantly considering it due to the gravity of her situation.
Again, the mother has seen no significant results with Zoloft(she is on
it now) and the doctor wants to add Ritalin in the mornings. I will
check with the mother and see if Effexor has been used or offered as an
option. I would again appreciate any additional feedback on this topic.

Jennifer
LLL Leader and mother to the spunky Gwendolyn!