From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 07:29:49 -0600
>Just in case every listmate is tempted to ask me for a photocopy, please
>remember that although I like to help, I won't knowingly violate copyright
>law, even for the sake of 'education'. (I've been pretty shocked at some
>loose interpretations of 'fair use' by colleagues.)

It is perfectly legal and ethical to make multiple copies of a copyrighted
publication if they are going to be GIVEN AWAY FREE, one per person, for
EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES.  If I wanted to use the Wall Street Journal article
"Babies Dying for Milk" in a class, I could include it in a course packet
that the students would buy for class.  Even though they have to pay for the
packet, they are only paying for the paper and photocopying charges, I am
not charging $1 extra per student to make a profit (that would be illegal).
I can also make copies of James McKenna's research, or Jim Aney's packet on
the Ezzo's, and mail it out to people who request it, or who I think need to
read it.

What I cannot do is make multiple copies of, say, an article by James
McKenna, which costs $1.25 to photocopy, and then charge people $5.00 per
copy.  That's illegal.  Likewise, I can show movies to my classes, but I
can't show a movie for class and require students to pay me $5.00 to watch
it, and then pocket the money.  Nor can I make copies of the movies and sell
it to people.

Having said all that, I do think people who want a copy of something that is
available to them fairly easily through their local public library or
university or medical school library, so put forth the effort to get it
themselves.  It does take a lot of unrecompensed time and money for one
person to make copies and distribute them to all who ask.  I have the
resources of the university behind my frequent mailings -- Texas A&M pays
for the photocopying and mailing, and it is considered within the scope of
my role as a public educator for my employer to support this.

Kathy Dettwyler