Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 06:49:10 -0600
 It was reported that  the increase in cases was due
>to the success in educating mothers about benefits of breastfeeding,
decreased
>sun exposure, mothers with lower educational levels may have less UV exposre,
>maternal vitamin D status major factor in regulation of vitamin D in breast
>milk, breastmilk contains 15-50 IU/1 compared to 400 IU/1 in formula, etc.

I often wonder why the Meds. don't recommend supplementing the mothers.
Not only might this resolve the problem for the babies, but the mothers who
are Vit D deficient need to have their nutritional status corrected also.

Is there something that I am missing here?  It seems so obvious to me. Is
this a part of our "specializing" of health care.  "Here is a baby whose
mother is Vit D deficient, give Vit D to the baby," says the Ped. The OB,
who is probably the mother's primary care physician (for some reason),
doesn't treat the mother because *she* doesn't have rickets.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin